Ramblings of a Convicted Half-wit

An online journal that (b)logs the incessant insignificants that pass through sq's gray matter every day. Pick up the pieces and make out the puzzle.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Dear diary,

Ok. I've gotten all the stuff I need at Phoon Huat, if not, at least most of them.

I still don't know the difference between "vanilla flavouring" and "vanilla extract". It's obviously different -the price in particular-, but the sales lady insists there isn't much difference. Right. But being the cheapo me, I've convinced myself my tastebuds aren't sensitive enough to distinguish between the two.

Let's see what's on the list for my virgin ice-cream making experience:

1. Chocolate Peppermint

To make the chocolate ice cream:
  • 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate - check
  • 1 cup milk - check
  • 2 large eggs - Large eggs. How large is an egg considered large? Where are the bloody dimensions...
  • 1 cup sugar - check
  • 1 cup heavy cream - check
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract - (sorry, cheap replacement vanilla flavouring only)
  • 1 pinch salt - How much more arbitrary can they get? A pinch? So people with fat thumbs deserve salty ice-cream?
Apparently the people in the cooking business are so boring they all use the industry's universally-accepted homogenic CUP. Nothing else but THE CUP. Kinda like the biblical chalice huh?

2. Apple Strawberry

  • 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced - Lol. A pint of strawberries? Bartender please.
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon - Again no sizing. I assume they have strict size control for lemons.
  • Sweet Cream Base - Common ice-cream base. No worries.
  • 1/2 cup apple cider jelly - Ok this thingmajig is really confusing. I know apples. I know apple cider. It's liquid, yes. And now I'm supposed to know how to jellyize it. Right. Not to mention it sounds like something gross.
  • 1 cup peeled diced apples - Reasonable.

Sounds adventurous.

Sounds yummy.

Sounds like people who write recipe books always ensure the reader will never get it exactly right to protect their crummy arses.

Sounds like a disaster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home