Ramblings of a Convicted Half-wit

An online journal that (b)logs the incessant insignificants that pass through sq's gray matter every day. Pick up the pieces and make out the puzzle.

Friday, May 20, 2005

Dear diary,

I want to fall in love. Hopelessly. Madly. Deeply.

I would've liked to think I was in love once. But was I ever? Could I have been deluded, a foray my mind played to my whim, to like to believe I was in love, that I had experienced the most powerful emotion since the advent of man?

Looking back, I cannot be as steadfast in my answer as I had been then. How does one define the constitution of love, when love is a paradox in itself, that it can be transient as a passing breeze as it is timeless as the hanging stars. That it can hurt as much as it can heal. That love is about selflessness yet we cannot love without desiring that person.

Some people might not agree with what I say. Advocates of 'true' love would say love is all-encompassing, that it is a feeling so pure and permanent other emotions such as jealousy, spite and lust should play no part in. Yet how much 'truer' is one love to the other? To me, true love is overstated. Love is love. Love cannot be simply defined by words because there are infinite forms that it can manifest into.

People who believe in the very notion of 'true' love do not understand love for what it truely is, they of bigotry and naivety. They think that there is a set of laws or rules that govern what is acceptable as love, that their love would be nobler than the rest, but they forget that love is essentially a feeling. And feelings fade or grow. It is as unpredictable as the mechanism that produces it, the human mind.

A love short-lived doesn't make it any less important than one that lasts a lifetime. I am not saying love is frivolous or capricious, because it is not. But I don't believe it's all-encompassing either, because humans are born of a selfish nature. Does it mean the lady who cried at her husband's passing doesn't love him? The very act(of crying) stems from the fact that she realised he's forcefully torn from her, and can you say then, that it wasn't love because she acted in self-interest, her desire for his physical presence?

To me, to the best of my understanding, love is about giving, sacrifice and compromise. And the strength of the love, its longevity, is what people should be concerned about, the harmony of the elements that nurture love.

Call me a hopeless romantic, but I don't believe love can be stopped, nor can one determine when or where to fall in love. Love at first sight holds as true for me as a love developed over years of understanding. However, whether the love blossoms into something fruitful and longlasting is completely dependent on the compatibility of the individuals.

The 'right' or the 'ideal' one, as they like to say it is, simply put, the individual whom you're most comfortably in love with and who is most comfortably in love with you.

I cannot be sure whether I was ever in love. In those years when I was foolish, immature and I didn't care as much about compromising, giving and sacrificing as I should have for someone in love. Still, why should it matter so much that I was or wasn't. Those years had been kind to me, and I was and still am grateful.





I want to fall in love. Hopelessly. Madly. Deeply.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home