Ramblings of a Convicted Half-wit

An online journal that (b)logs the incessant insignificants that pass through sq's gray matter every day. Pick up the pieces and make out the puzzle.

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Dear diary,

I've started out on my novel. Now I just have to complete it.

Two paragraphs at the moment. I hadn't been so excited about the prospect of something as much as this for a long time.

I suddenly feel infinitely powerful. I could mould the story any way I wanted it. I could make it a tragedy or a comedy with a slight twist of my wit. I could quite simply kill off characters as I liked, or give them immortality, make them ugly or impossibly beautiful. It's hard to fault a writer for being egotistical really.

There are measures of control though. I believe most novelists still write to pander to the crowd. Everyone likes to be liked. So I wouldn't actually create a hideous protagonist, or snuff out the nice little girl scout that lives next door for no apparent reason, even though I could technically.

And I can throw in so many hidden agendas and influence my readers in such scary ways. I could throw in hate messages (something which I will not do), or I could make my cute protagonist watch bloomberg tv just to suck up to them so they might reconsider rejecting me. Yes, I got rejected, but that's another issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home